Yes, I know, we can learn so much from our dogs! Just to name a few: unconditional love that doesn’t hold a grudge, not taking things too seriously, and loyalty for those you surround yourself with.
On the other hand, how often do we consider what our kitty friends can teach us?
Cats have much wisdom for us to gain as well! Here are some of the lessons I believe we can take from our four-legged purrecious friends:
1. Respect is highly regarded and should be both given and received. For example, your cat respects you by bringing you a mouse (real or toy) and you are taught to respect your cat by being told when enough pets have occurred.
2. You and I, and especially our cats in their opinion, are royalty. Treat yourself and others as such, while remaining humble enough to give purrs to deserving friends.
[But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, Godʼs special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
1 Peter 2:9 NIV]
3. Face your fears! Have you met many cats that are afraid to climb to the top of a tree (or a cat tower)? Me neither! Cats aren’t afraid to climb high, get in tight spaces, and jump far jumps. I am not saying you should go out now climb a tree and jump from it. However, I am saying our cats are a great demonstration that good things can come from us getting out of our comfort zones and facing that fear!
4. Coming in at #4 on the list, but equally as important to those prior, don’t forget to rest. Not only is rest essential, it can be home to important brain storming sessions, prayer, or a time for healing. And I encourage you to try a cat nap with your kitty as well!
5. Enjoy life! Captain, who is somewhere between the ages of 7 and 9 years old (getting midway to the older side of being a kitty), still enjoys a good toy tossing, sprinting through the hallway at 2 am, pouncing on his brother kind of time. Don’t lose the playful person you are deep inside!
This weekend let your cat be the teacher!
I would love to hear what lessons you take from your kitties!
Thanks for stopping by!